The show had its World Premiere at Sadler's Wells Theatre, London on 9 November 1995 and ran until 25 November.
First UK Tour
The show toured to various venues around the UK from 6 February until 13 April.
Swan Lake transferred to the West End on 11 September 1996 at the Piccadilly Theatre. Here it ran for 120 performances - the longest run ever known in London for any production of a full-length dance classic.
- Winner of Best New Dance Production - Olivier Awards
- Best Touring Dance Production - The Manchester Evening News Award
- Outstanding Live Performance - Gay Times Readers Poll
- Adam Cooper for his performance - Time Out Dance Award
First US Tour
The show visited the Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles 25 April 1997 and was screened in the UK on Boxing Day on BBC2. An excerpt was also performed at The Royal Variety Performance.
- Winner of Best Choreography - Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Awards
- Matthew Bourne for Swan Lake - The South Bank Show Award
- Adam Cooper for his performance - The Evening Standard Ballet Awards
- Dramalogue Awards (Musical Director – David Frame, Outstanding Performance – Adam Cooper, Outstanding Performance – Scott Ambler, Director – Matthew Bourne, Producer – Katherine Doré, Set and Costume Design – Lez Brotherston)
Opened on Broadway
The first edition of Alistair Macaulay's 'Matthew Bourne and his Adventures in Motion Pictures' was published with image on the front cover of Matthew Bourne and Adam Cooper as The Swan (pictured).
UK Tour revival
Swan Lake toured the UK from 2 Oct – 11 Dec 1999
- Best Director of a Musical, Best Choreography and Best Costume Design at the 53rd Tony Awards
- Astaire Award (Special Award for Direction, Choreography and Concept of Swan Lake, Outstanding Male Dancer - Adam Cooper)
- Drama Desk Awards (Outstanding Director of a Musical – Matthew Bourne, Outstanding Choreography – Matthew Bourne, Outstanding Set Design of a Musical – Lez Brotherston, Outstanding Costume Design – Lez Brotherston, Unique Theatrical Experience – Swan Lake)
- Outer Circle Critics Awards (Outstanding Director of a Musical – Matthew Bourne, Outstanding Choreography – Matthew Bourne, Outstanding Costume Design – Lez Brotherston)
Swan Lake toured around the world and played the Dominion Theatre in London's West End.
This tour continued into 2003 and included Japan.
Express & Star
10th Anniversary of Swan Lake
Swan Lake played at Sadler's Wells from 30 November until 16 January 2005 and continued onto a UK Tour throughout 2005.
Theatres visited included Cadillac Palace Theatre, Chicago and Orpheum Theatre, LA.
Swan Lake had a Christmas Season at London's Sadler's Wells.
Included a season at Sadler's Wells and a UK tour throughout 2010.
New York City Center
Swan Lake returned to New York City for the first time since 1998 and played a four-week season at the City Center.
Swan Lake 3D
The first ever 3D ballet of its kind!
UK and International Tour (including Australia)
Swan Lake returns with a fresh look for the 21st Century
Swan Lake is touring the UK from September 2018 - May 2019 with a Christmas season at Sadler's Wells.